Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Geek Chic: Portals

I sometimes wonder if my writing is a bit too "informal" for this type of purpose. It seems like I have a hard time beginning and ending every single post. . . Anywhoo. Here's number two in the series of blog posts showcasing the wonderful Geek Chic Cosmetics and their awesome eyeshadows.

If you haven't played Portal you don't know what you're missing. There, I said it. Also, if you haven't played Portal 2, then you really really should find a way to do so, because the extended gameplay, added characters, and amazing "dialogues" in this game are very very much worth the wait. On to the swatches!

***It appears on the website that Portal Orange and Portal Blue have been reformulated. I haven't gotten samples of those yet, but seeing as I already had these from way back, I swatched them anyway. As soon as I am able to, I will update the post with the newer formulations***



Top pic is Daylight Bulb, no flash. Bottom pic with flash.
L-R: Combustible Lemon, Portal Orange, Portal Blue.

Color Descriptions:
Combustible Lemon: Combustible Lemon hits you with a bang with a blindingly bright yellow shimmer base with sparkling flashes of gold, red, orange, and blue. This color truly packs a punch and doesn't scrimp on the sparkle. Goes on almost opaque that easily built up to full opacity.


My Take: I think the description is fairly accurate for this color. I did notice that the larger sparkles tended to kind of bunch up in different areas of the application and then mostly were unnoticeable when swatched. I strongly suggest a sticky base for this shade!


Portal Orange: Portal Orange is a deep yet vibrant orange with tons of gold sparkle. Portal Orange is a hot true pumpkin orange. Great for use on hot sunny summer days!

My Take: I see this color as a bright terracotta. It does have sparkle, and it's very nice, but it's not orange (or as orange as I'd wanted it to be). The new swatch pic on the website makes it seem much more orange-y, so I'm really looking forward to trying it out in the near future.

Portal Blue: Portal Blue is a bitchin' blue with tons of sparkle! Icy and intense blue, it would make a totally rad eyeliner when used wet!

My Take: Even though I have an older version of this shade, I still think the website accurately describes it. It is a gorgeous icy blue with sparkle. It applies so smooth and perfect, it's probably one of my favorite GCC eyeshadows from my first order way back when :)

All in all, I really like these colors and I'm very much looking forward to sampling the rest of the set (and the reformulated Orange-Blue!)

Thanks for reading!
-Tat

1 comment:

Cassandra said...

wow!! those colors are AMAZING!